Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arrival - Los Angeles

Arrived in LA at 7.30 am on Friday. As I suspected I had no luck again with my contact at the Shriners Hospital for Children. However, it's good to have a weekend to recuperate before flying to Canada after which the meetings schedule is jam packed! Amazing how many schedule bits and pieces have to be managed so late. Thankfully I am in a hotel in Santa Monica where the WiFi is good and I can spend time emailing with relative ease. Also good to ease into to the USA. To adjust to the cultural nuances (tipping!!!) and to observe the social issues that possible underpin the enthusiasm for health literacy in this country. Poverty and homelessness are hard to avoid, as are the pockets of extreme wealth. Looking forward to coming back in a few weeks to visit the La Habra Clinic, a primary care clinic in LA - the coal face. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment